Moong Dal Halwa Recipe without Khoya – Hi guys! Today we are going to teach you “Easy Moong Dal Halwa RECIPE”. Its one of my favorites. Moong ki Dal ka Halwa is one of the most famous Indian Dessert. The main ingredients Of this delicious recipe are split yellow gram, milk, sugar, ghee and dry fruit. It doesn’t only looks good but tastes heavenly good – A perfect dessert for every function or party. You can also garnish it with some small pieces of dry fruit and khoya slices and then serve to your guests. So let’s start with this delicious recipe.
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 1 hour | Serves : 4-5
INGREDIENTS FOR Moong DAL HALWA recipe
- Milk – 1/2 litre
- Split green gram – 1 bowl
- Sugar – 1 bowl
- Soaked Raisins
- Clarified Butter (ghee) – 2 tbsp
- Grated Coconut
- Cardamom Powder
HOW TO MAKE MOONG DAL KA HALWA without khoya
QUICK STEPS :
- Take a pan and add 2 tbsp clarified butter to it.
- Turn on the flame and heat it.
- Add moong dal’s paste to the pan.
- Stir it continuously to avoid sticking.
- Cook the halwa for 15-20 minutes on medium flame.
- Meanwhile, take a pan and pour 1/2 liter milk into the pan.
- Turn on the flame and heat the milk until comes to a boil.
- When comes to a boil, add a pinch of saffron to it.
- Mix it well and stir occasionally.
- On the other hand our halwa mixture is enough dry now and has turned golden in color. Turn off the flame.
- Our saffron milk is also ready. Pour the milk into the halwa mixture.
- Mix it well and avoid lumps.
- Now put the mixture on medium flame and stir it.
- It will take approximate 15-20 minutes
- Stir it in- between.
- When halwa gets dry, stir it continuously.
- Add dry fruit -cashews, almonds, raisins and grated coconut.
- Add a pinch of cardamom powder.
- Mix it well and again cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add sugar and mix thoroughly.
- And again cook it for 6-7 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
- Our MOONG DAL KA HALWA is ready.
- Serve and enjoy.
BRIEF COOKING PROCESS :
Preparation : Take 1 bowl of split yellow gram ( moong dal) and soak it in enough water for 3-4 hours. When done, drain the lentil and grind it in grinder to a coarse paste. Do not add water to the paste. Cover the paste and keep it aside. Now chop dry fruit – cashews, almonds, pistachios. Soak raisins in warm water. Take dried coconut and grate them or crush them.
Cooking : Take a thick bottomed pan and 2 tbsp clarified butter into the pan. Turn on the flame and let the clarified butter melt. When heated, Add the paste of split yellow gram ( moong dal) to the pan and mix it well. Cook it till it turns golden in color and becomes aromatic on medium flame. When ghee starts separating from the moong dal, stir the halwa continuously. After half an hour you will notice that the raw smell of yellow gram is now disappearing instead becoming sweet aromatic.
On the other hand, take a pan and pour 1/2 l milk into the pan. When milk comes to a boil, turn the flame to medium. Stir it and add a pinch of saffron. Now simmer the milk for 7-8 minutes and stir in-between. When done, turn off the flame. Now pour the saffron milk into the halwa mixture and mix it well. Now put the pan of halwa mixture on the gas stove and turn on the flame. Again cook the halwa for 10-15 minutes until the mixture thickens. Make sure to avoid lumps. Stir in interval and keep scraping the sides of the kadhayi and mix the solid milk with halwa mixture. You can use mava instead of adding milk but we are making halwa in traditional way. If you will use home-made mawa, it will also take this much time. To enhance the flavor of halwa use full fat milk. When halwa gets almost dry keep stirring it so that it roast evenly and does not burn in bottom of the pan. Now add crushed or chopped dry fruits( almonds, cashews and and soaked raisins) to the mixture and roast them too for about 2-3 minutes. Add grated coconut too and 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder. Cardamon powder will add fragrance to the halwa. Mix it thoroughly. Now add sugar to the pan you will notice that once again the mixture has become liquefied. Cook it again till it thickens again. You can also add 1 string sugar-syrup/ chashni instead of adding sugar.This whole process will take about an hour.
Now your delicious Indian traditional dessert “Moong Dal Ka Halwa” is ready. Serve warm and enjoy.