Gond ke laddu – Gum or Gond ke Ladoo Recipe – This winter eat something healthy! Gond ke laddu is a traditional winter recipe that originates from North India. These laddus are easy to make and really great in taste. Its main ingredients are gond (gum), ghee, flour and dry fruits. These laddus are very good for health as gond(gum) is a heat giving food. One should definitely have them during the merciless winter month. You can have it with a glass of milk or enjoy it as a dessert after a nice meal, You can also store them in an air tight container . Do try these tasty laddus! Also checkout these laddu recipes – Til Gud Ke Ladoo and Suji Ke Laddu. So let’s start with the recipe.
Prep time: 15-20 mins | Cook time: 40-50 mins | Serves : 8-9
INGREDIENTS FOR Gond ke laddu
- Wheat Flour – 1/2 kg
- Crushed Cashews and Almonds – 400 gm
- Crushed Sugar – 1/2 kg
- Clarified Butter (ghee) – 1/2 kg
- Gum/gond – 100 gm
- Crushed Walnuts – 100 gm
HOW TO MAKE Gond ke laddu
QUICK STEPS :
- Take a wok or kadhayi and take 1/2 kg clarified butter.
- Turn on the flame an let the clarified butter melt.
- To check the ghee is hot enough or not? Add a pinch of flour in it, if it pops-out, desi ghee is ready.
- When done, turn the flame to medium and add little amount of gum/gond at a time.
- Once the gum/gond is fried, it will puff up like popcorn, make sure that gum/gond is cooked well from inside before taking it out.
- Do same with rest of the gum/gond.
- Crush the deep-fried gum/gond with an heavy object.
- Keep it aside.
- Now heat the clarified butter again in which you have deep-fried the gum/gond.
- Add 1/2 kg flour to it and roast it until it turns brown in color
- Stir it continuously to make sure that flour roast evenly.
- Mix and roast for approximately for half an hour till nice aroma comes out.
- Now add dry fruits to the mixture.
- Mix it well and roast it for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and transfer the mixture to the bowl.
- Add crushed sugar and crushed deep-fried gum/gond to it.
- Mix it well.
- Now leave the mixture to cool, so that you can handle it.
- Now roll the mixture to laddoo.
- Pick up the mixture and roll them into smooth balls.
- Your Gond ke laddu are ready. Enjoy.
- Store them in an air tight container.
BRIEF COOKING PROCESS :
Preparation : Sieve 1/2kg wheat flour. Crush 300 gm cashews and almonds. Crush 100 gm walnuts too.
Prepare Gum/Gond : Take a work or kadhayi. Take 1/2 kg clarified butter (desi ghee) and heat it. When the ghee melts, sprinkle a pinch of flour to check if ghee is enough hot or not and if it pops-out, that means ghee is heated. Add little amount of gum/gond at a time to the kadhayi on medium flame and stir it continuously. Make sure that gum/gond cook from inside too. Deep-fry the gum/gond till it puffs up like popcorn. Take out the puffed gum/gond in the plate and do the same with the rest gum/gond. Check if the gum/gond is well cooked or not by pressing it and if it sticks, deep-fry it once again. Now crush the deep-fried gum/gond with an heavy object or with the help of glass,bowl(whatever available in your kitchen). If your child doesn’t like the taste of gum/gond, you can grind it after it cools down.
Prepare Mixture : Now heat the clarified butter again in which you have deep-fried the gum/gond. When heated, add 1/2 kg wheat flour to the clarified butter. Mix it well and stir it continuously so that flour roast evenly. Roast the flour on medium flame till it turns golden brown in color and becomes fragrant.It will take approx half an hour. Make sure to avoid lumps. When done, add crushed dry fruits( almonds, cashews and walnuts) to the mixture and roast them too for about 2-3 minutes. You can also roast the dry fruits separately before preparing the mixture but due to the lack of time, we have roasted it with the mixture. You can also add black pepper to it. You can also add your favorite dry fruits. After roasting the mixture check whether the dry fruits have turned crunchy or not. When flour absorbed the clarified completely, turn off the flame. Now take out the mixture in a big bowl immediately after turning off the flame.Take 1/2 kg crushed sugar and add it to the flour mixture. You can also adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste. Mix it well. You can also add sugar syrup(chasni) in place of crushed sugar but again it will consume your precious time. However, it doesn’t make any difference to the taste. So, keeping the importance of time in my mind, I’m adding crushed sugar. Add crushed gum/gond to the mixture as well. Mix it thoroughly. Now keep the mixture aside and let it cool enough to handle.
Bind ladoos : Now start binding the laddus. Take 2 tsp of mixture on your palm, press it gently with your other hand and start rolling the laddoo between your palms. Try to give a shape of smooth ball to it. If you are finding difficulty in binding the laddus, heat 2-3 tsp of clarified butter and add it to the flour mixture. It will act as a binder and will moist the mixture little bit. Do the same with rest.
Now your delicious Indian traditional dessert “Gond ke laddu” is ready. Serve and enjoy.