Harira recipe for new mothers – Harira is also known as path. It is basically a nutritious dish which is given to new mothers after delivery. This Indian traditional recipe gives energy to women’s body. The recipe includes dry fruits and jaggery which provides energy, turmeric powder – helps to reduce the cramps, Cumin seeds- helps to increase the lactation in new mother and dried ginger powder – reduces the body pain. This recipe increase the stamina and gives more power to the women to fight from the pain of delivery. So, It is the best thing to serve to a new mother at evening and morning for at-least a week. You can also enjoy this recipe in winters.
Harira Recipe for new mothers Video
Soak time: 2 hrs | Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 40 mins
INGREDIENTS FOR Harira recipe for new mothers
- Melon seeds
- Dry Chopped coconut
- Coconut Powder (grind)
- Makhana/Lotus Seeds
- Chopped Almonds
- Chopped Cashews
- 250 Gram Crushed Jaggery
- 2 spoons dry ginger powder
- 1 spoons turmeric powder
- 1/2 spoon cumin seeds
- 25 Gram khas-khas
- 1 spoon cumin seed powder
- 1/2 spoon celery (ajwain)
- Clarified butter/desi ghee
HOW TO MAKE HARIRA recipe
quick steps :
- Take 25 gram khas-khas in a bowl. Soak it for two hours.
- Take a blender jar. Add soaked khas-khas, 1 spoon of cumin seed powder and 1/2 spoon of celery (ajwain) in it. Blend it and make smooth paste. Keep it aside until needed.
- Take a wok/pan.
- Add 1 table spoon of clarified butter/desi ghee in it. Turn on the gas and heat it.
- When desi ghee is ready, turn the flame of gas to low/sim and add chopped cashew in it. Roast them till they very light golden in color.
- Take out cashews. Add chopped almonds, raisins, chironji and chopped dried coconut in it. Roast them till they appears light golden brown in color.
- Add melon seeds in it and saute for a minute. Do this carefully as the melon seeds may pop out from the wok/pan.
- Take out the ingredients and keep it aside until needed.
- Add a bowl of makhana/lotus seed in wok and roast them till they turns light golden brown in color.
- Take them out and keep it in a bowl.
- Add 1 table spoon clarified butter/desi ghee in the same wok and heat it again at simmer.
- When ready, add 1 tsp of cumin seeds and saute it for few seconds. Add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and paste (in step 2) in it, saute for 5 minutes. Stir it continuously to prevent ingredients sticking at the base of wok/pan.
- After 5 minutes, add a small bowl of coconut powder (about 3 tbsp) in it and saute for 2 minutes. Again stir it continuously.
- Add 2 tsp of dry ginger powder in it. Mix it well. Cook it for 10 minutes. If the mixture becomes dry, you can add 1-2 spoon of desi ghee/clarified butter as per the situation.
- After 10 minutes, Add crushed jaggery and a glass of water in it. Mix it well. (if you want sweeter, then add 2 small tbsp of sugar in it.) Cook it for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, Add all fried dry fruit (makhana, chironji, raisins, almonds, cashew, melon seeds & coconut slices) in it. Cook it for 5 minutes more.
- Harira/Path is ready. Do not serve extremely hot as the jaggery can burn your mouth. Serve warm in chilly winters.
- You can store Harira/Path in winters upto 10-15 days.
Leave a Reply