Dahi Bhalla Recipe: Dahi Bhalle is very popular among people of India, specially in north India it is a Must-Holi-Diwali-Snack. It is a popular-mouthwatering snack where mixture of urad dal and moong dal dumplings are dunked in a creamy whipped yogurt topped with salt, garam masala, coriander chutney, tamarind chutney, Tomato chutney, chaat masala, pomegranate seeds, boiled potatoes and chickpeas. As mentioned in the title of this recipe, Dahi Bhalle is also known as dahi vada, dahi wada or dahi ki pakodiya.
Now may be you are thinking, Is Dahi Bhalla and Dahi Vada is same or different food items? Yes! there is slightly difference between dahi vada and dahi bhalla. When more ingredients like Anar dana (Pomegranate), potato cubes and Boiled-Masala-chickpeas adds to dahi vada it becomes dahi bhalla. But It is totally upto you, what you want to add or subtract. When you go for marriage parties or sometimes for lunch/dinner, Dahi bhalla is mostly sit in your plate with rice, curries, paratha or with other items and you want to finish your lunch/dinner with this super softy-tasty dahi bhalla. Especially in Delhi It is one of the most popular street food snack which is also served as the starter dish.
Soaked Hrs: 5 hrs | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 30 mins
Ingredients for Dahi Bhalla Recipe
- 1 cup husked green gram
(dhuli hui moong dal)
- Khane ka soda
- Asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 cup husked Vigna mungo
(dhuli hui urad dal)
- Garam Masala
- Red Chili Powder
- Green Chutney
- Red Tamarind Chutney
- Garam Masala
- Red Chili Powder
- Anardana (pomegranate seeds)
How to Make Dahi Bhalla Soft and Spongy
QUICK STEPS :
- Wash and Soak Moong dal and urad dal in water for at least 4-5 hours.
- Take a grinder jar, add Moong Dal and Urad dal to it. Blend it till smooth paste.
- Take a big bowl and Transfer the paste into it.
- Add less than 1/4 tsp khane ka soda and 1 tsp salt to the bowl. Mix it well for 10 minutes. You can also blend it with the help of electric blender.
- After 10 minutes the paste should be ready for Dahi bhalla/Dahi vada. Take a small bowl of water, add 1 tsp paste into it. If the paste floats on water, your paste is ready to proceed with the next steps. Keep it aside until needed.
- Take a wok. Add oil to it. Turn on the gas to high and heat it.
- Check whether oil is ready or not, drop little amount of paste in it and if it comes upward, oil is ready. Turn the gas flame to medium. Take small amount (about 1 spoon) of mixture in your hand and drop 10-12 fritters(of same amount of mixture) into the oil. You can also dip your hands into water or grease your palms with oil. By doing this, Dahi Bhalla’s paste will not stick on your hands.
- Fry the Bhalle or Pakodiya from both side till they become light golden-yellow in color. Stir it well to prevent from sticking at the base of wok. When done, take them out at the tissue paper and do this till the rest paste is utilized.
- Meanwhile, Take a pan and add 2 glasses of water to it. Add a pinch of asafoetida (hing) powder and 2 tsp of salt in it. Turn on the gas to high and heat it.
- When the water comes to boil, turn off the gas and place all the fried pakoriya or bhalle into it. Dip them in water and cover them with lid. Leave it for 10 minutes. Asafoetida Powder add different taste and flavor to the dahi Bhalla and salt prevent the bhallas to become bland from the inside.
- After 10 minutes, Take few pakoriya/bhalle/vada. Quantity is depends upon you, but five pakoriya is enough for a person. So Squeeze five pakoriya/bhalle/vade and take them out in a small bowl.
- Beat the chilled curd. Add 3 tsp of curd, one and half spoon of green and red chutney, sprinkle salt, red chili powder and garam masala as per your taste to it. You can also make red and green chutney in home and store them in refrigerator for other snacks also.
- Dahi Bhalle or Dahi Vade is ready. Garnish it with Anar dana (pomegranate seeds) and serve immediately to maintain the softness of Dahi bhalla or dahi vada. If you left bhalla in curd, it will become soggy.
- Now try Dahi bhalla recipe /dahi vada recipe and share your experience with us. If you have any new ideas about this recipe, you can also share with them with us for more varieties in dishes.