Shahi Veg Methi Kofta Curry Recipe – I made this recipe second time in my life when I was newly married and was cooking in my new home. My new family members had never heard nor knew about this veg kofta recipe. They knew about Lauki kofta and other koftas but not about this one. They loved it too much and still it is a winter special recipe in my home. It is basically a stuffed dumpling of mixture of gram flour(besan) and frengureek (Methi) prepared in masala fanfare. These Shahi methi koftas are simmered in rich creamy tomato-onion gravy, which enhances the flavor of dish. So let’s start
Prep time: 15 mins | Cook time: 35 mins | Serve: 4-5
INGREDIENTS FOR Shahi Veg Methi Kofta Curry Recipe
- Fengureek leaves (Methi) – 200G
- Gram flour (Besan) – 150G
- 3-4 green chilies
- Garam masala
- Asafoetida Powder
- Baking Powder/Khane ka soda
- Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- Red Chili powder
- Coriander powder
- Turmeric powder
- 2 Tomatoes Paste or Puree
- Paste of 2 onions, 3-4 garlic buds & ginger (1 inch)
HOW TO MAKE Shahi Veg Methi Kofta Curry Recipe
quick steps :
- Wash fengureek leaves (methi patta) and coriander leaves in running water. Shake off the excess water and then finely chop them separately.
- Wash green chilies in water, take out their stems and grind them to the coarse mixture.
- Take a mixer jar, add 2 chopped onions, 3 – 4 buds of garlic, a piece of ginger (1inch) and 2 spoons of water in it. Grind them till they smooth. Ginger-garlic paste is ready. Transfer this paste in bowl. Cover it and keep it aside.
- Now, make puree of two tomatoes by grinding them.Cover it and keep it aside.
- Take a big bowl or tray and add chopped methi leaves in it. Add 1 spoon of salt, 1/2 spoon of red chilli powder, 1 spoon of garam masala, 1/4 spoon of turmeric powder, coarse mixture of green chilies and a pinch of asafoetida powder in it. Mix all ingredients well.
- Add gram flour (besan) in the mixture and knead it by adding little amount of oil in it. Knead it till it becomes soft like puris dough. For more details you can watch the video.
- When dough is ready, pick up some portion of dough and roll them into small balls.Try to give a shape of smooth ball to it. If you are finding difficulty and dough is stick in your plam, grease your plam with oil and try again. Do this till all the methi dough is utilized.
- Take Wok or Kadhaai and heat the oil in it at medium flame .
- When oil is ready, fry the dough balls from the both side till they appears light golden brown in color. Stir it well to prevent dough balls from sticking at the base of wok.
- When done, take them out. Dry Methi Koftas are ready to eat. You can serve them hot with different types of chutney.
- But the recipe is not end here, Add more oil in the same wok and heat it.
- To check the oil is hot enough or not? drop one fengureek seed (methi dana) in it, if it pops-out, oil is ready.
- Add 1/2 small spoon of fengureek seeds (methi dana), 1/2 spoon of turmeric powder, 2 spoons of coriander powder and salt, 1 1/2 spoon of red chilli powder and ginger-garlic paste in it. Turn the gas to medium and fry all ingredients for 5 minutes. You can change the quantity of salt and red chili powder as per your taste.
- When Masala is ready, simmer the gas and add all fried methi kofta balls in it. Mix it well.
- Add 1 glass of water in it and mix it well. Cover the wok with lid or plate, turn the gas to medium and cook for 5 minutes more.
- After 5 minutes open the lid stir it and cover it again. Now don’t disturb it and cook it for 10 minutes more.
- After 10 minutes, open the lid. Add tomato puree with 1/4 glass of water in it. Mix it well and again cook it for 5 minutes more.
- After 5 minutes, add 1 spoon of garam masala and 1 big spoon of cream in it. Stir and cook it for 2-3 minutes more.
- Shahi Veg Methi Kofta Curry Recipe is ready. Garnish is with finely chopped coriander leaves and cream. Serve hot with Naan, puris, chapatti or rice.
- Also check more Kofta recipes.