Namkeen Mathri recipe – Salted Crackers Recipe – For all the snacks lover, here I am with one more amazing recipe. Its tea time and you wanna have something with your tea or want to eat something crispy then here you go “Mathri”. Mathri is a famous North-Indian flaky snack recipe that you can have with pickle or ginger tea. Easy to make and delicious to eat , this is something you can’t miss.. So let’s start with this salty and crispy snack recipe.
Prep time: 20-30 mins | Cook time: 30-40 mins | Serves : 7-8
INGREDIENTS FOR Namkeen Mathri recipe
- Maida / Refined flour : 1/2 kg
- Wheat Flour : 150 gm
- Semolina – 150 gm
- Carom seeds – 2 tsp
- Oil/Clarified Butter
- Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp (or to taste)
- Water (to knead dough)
HOW TO MAKE namkeen MATHRI
QUICK STEPS :
- Take a big bowl or paraat and add 1/2 kg refined flour (maida) to it.
- Add 150 gm semolina and 150 gm wheat flour to it.
- Add 2 tsp of white salt (or to taste), ¼ tsp of baking soda and 2 tsp of carom seeds. Mix it well.
- Now add 2 tbsp of hot oil/clarified butter (known as moin or moyen) to it.
- Now rub the mixture between your palms until it takes the form of breadcrumbs.
- Add sufficient cold water and bring together into a hard dough.
- Avoid lumps.
- Dough is ready. Sprinkle little amount of water on it and leave the dough for 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 min, Divide the dough into four equal parts and roll out balls into one inch thick, long coil.
- Make equal sized small balls(loi) out of the long coil.
- Roll the balls (loi) tightly in your palms to even them.
- Flatten each ball(loi) in 3″ dia size mathri with a rolling pin or belan to medium thickness.
- Prick each mathri with a knife.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Deep-fry, a few mathris at a time.
- Deep-fry mathris on a medium flame(so that it cook properly from inside) until it turns golden brown in color.
- Take out mathris on tissue paper or kitchen towel to absorb extra oil.
- Serve at room temperature with pickle or tea.
BRIEF COOKING PROCESS :
Prepare Dough For Namkeen Mathri : Sieve 1/2 kg Refined flour(maida), 150 gm wheat flour, 150 gm semolina (suji). Take a big bowl or paraat and add Refined flour (maida) to it. Now add wheat flour and semolina to make mathri more crispy. Add 2 tsp of white salt (or to taste), ¼ tsp of baking soda and 2 tsp of carom seeds. Mix it thoroughly. Rub the mixture between your palms until it takes the form of breadcrumbs. Now add 2 tbsp oil/clarified butter (known as moin or moyen) to it. Moin will act as a binder. Mix it. Now start adding water to knead a dough and avoid lumps. To avoid lumps knead it with cold water. When the Dough is ready, sprinkle little amount of oil on it. You don’t have to knead the dough until it turns soft because we don’t want soft mathris. Cover it with damp cloth and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
Make Mathri from dough : Now dough is ready. Divide the dough into four equal parts and roll them into a long thick coil with the help of oil. Roll it between your palms and try to make the dough little more tight. Make equal small sized balls(loi) out of the long coil of dough. Roll the balls between your palms and press it. Flatten each ball(loi) in 3″ dia size mathri with a rolling pin or belan to medium thickness. Now make mathris with remaining loi in the same manner. Prick each mathri 6-7 times with the help of a knife, so that mathri will not puff during deep-frying. You can also give different shapes to mathris.
Deep-Frying the Mathris : While preparing mathri , take a pan or kadhayi and add sufficient oil to it. Turn on the flame and let the oil/clarified butter heat. Start putting the mathris one by one in the oil. But add, a few mathris at a time. If you will add the large number of mathri at a time, it can stick to each other and you will not be able to flip the mathris. Flip each mathri 4-5 times till it turns golden brown in color. Fry them on a medium flame. It will take 8-10 minutes. When done, take out the mathris with the help of slotted ladle. Put it on the tissue paper or kitchen towel so that it absorbs extra oil that is very harmful for us. Now deep-fry the next slot of mathris in the same manner. Our any time snack MATHRI is ready now. Let it cool so that it gets little hard and flaky.
Let it cool at room temperature and serve it with pickle or ginger tea.