Sweet red tamarind chutney also known as Imli chutney, saunth chutney or sonth chutney. Red sweet chutney and green chutney are the most important ingredients which served with North Indian paratha, snacks and chaats like golgappe, dahi aloo chaat, samosa, cutlet etc. Sourness of tamarind, sweetness of jaggery and spicy masalas makes it superb for chaat and snacks. The chutney can be cook with dried dates and raisins or without them. So let us start to learn how to make this sweet tamarind red chutney in simple steps.
Prep time : 15 mins | Cooking time : 15 mins | Makes : 1 Bottle
INGREDIENTS FOR red tamarind chutney / imli chutney
- 250 Gram Tamarind
- 300 Gram Jaggery
- 100 Gram Sugar
- Dried dates(Chuhara) and raisins
- Dry Ginger Powder
- Black Salt
- Red Chilli Powder
- Garam masala
- Food Color(optional)
- 2 small spoons of roasted cumin seeds powder and pinch of Asafoetida Powder
HOW TO MAKE SWEET RED TAMARIND chutney / IMLI CHUTNEY
- First of all, soak tamarind for 5 to 6 hours in the boiled water. After it extract the pulp or juice of tamarind with the help of strainer.
- Crush the piece of jaggery into small pieces, by this it melts fast when we are going to adding it in tamarind pulp.
- Cook or boil extracted pulp of tamarind in a pan or bagona at medium-high flame of gas.
- After 5 minutes, add 300 grams of crushed jaggery in it. Stir it well to prevent jaggery from sticking at the base of pan or utensil.
- Add 100 grams of sugar in it. Mix it well.
- Add raisins and dried dates(chuhare) in it. Stir and simmer the mixture of all ingredients. This step is optional.
- When done, add 2 spoons of black salt, 2 spoon of garam masala, 2 spoons of dry ginger powder, 1 spoon of red chilli powder in it. Mix it well and then add 2 spoons of roasted cumin seed powder and pinch of asafoetida(hing) powder in it.
- Stir and cook for 5 – 6 minutes more.
- When chutney becomes thick, add a pinch of food color in one spoon of water, pour it into the chutney and cook it for 2-3 minutes more. This step is optional. If you don’t want to add food color in it, just cook the chutney for 2-3 minutes more.
- When done, turn off the gas and let the chutney cool down.
- Sweet red tamarind chutney or imli ki chutney is ready, you can enjoy its sweet taste with paratha or snacks like dahi golgappa, spring rolls, bread pakora and many more.
- You can store the sweet tamarind chutney in an airtight container or bottle in the refrigerator and use it upto one year.