Soft Idli Recipe in Kerala Style : Idli, a zero oil traditional South-Indian Breakfast dish which is simply made of fermented mixture of black gram (Urad Dal) and rice and served with Sambhar and Coconut Chutney. It is one of the easiest south Indian recipes and famous among the all age groups, as it is very soft and can be eaten by from 8 months baby to old age people. Not only in taste, it is the perfect and healthy breakfast, lunch or dinner recipe which contain more proteins and less calories (1 Idli = 65 Calories approx.). There are many types of idlis like rava idli, jackfruit idli and so on, but today we are going to learn how to make Rice Soft Idli recipe in Kerala style. So, Let’s start step by step.
Prep time: 12 hrs | Cook time: 10 mins | Serve: 4-5
INGREDIENTS FOR soft IDLI recipe
- 3 cup basmati rice or sona masoori rice or regular rice
- 1 cup urad dal / black gram
- Water as required
- Oil to apply to the Idli moulds
HOW TO MAKE Soft IDLI Recipe
HOW TO PREPARE BATTER FOR SOFT IDLI RECIPE
When done, Drain the urad dal and reserve some of its strained water to grind the idli batter. Take a grinder jar, add urad dal to it. Add 2 – 3 tbsp of reserved water to it and start to grind. After few seconds add 6-7 tbsp of reserved water to it and make smooth and fluffy batter. Once the urad dal batter is ready transfer it into a big bowl. Now drain the rice completely and grind to a slightly coarse paste. (You can also add few tbsp of water to it for blending. But Do not make it watery.) Transfer it into the bowl of urad dal paste. Add 1 spoon of salt to it and mix the both paste well.
Cover the bowl with the lid and let the batter ferment for whole night or at least for 8-9 hours. Next morning or after 8 hours you will see the batter will become nearly double in size and rises up. Gently mix the batter once again. And batter for soft idli recipe is ready.
HOW TO STEAM IDLI
Grease the idli moulds with vegetable oil or coconut oil. Add 2 cups of water in Idli stand or steamer or electric cooker or pressure cooker and pour batter into greased idli moulds. Place the idli moulds in idli stand. Steam for 10-12 minutes. If using pressure cooker remove the vent weight or whistle and boil the water before placing the idli moulds in it. Turn the flame to medium. If the flame is very low, the idlis may not get steamed very well and remains raw from inside. If the flame is very high the water will bounce to the idli moulds. After 10 minutes, turn off the gas and leave it for 2 – 3 minutes. Now open the lid and Loosen the soft idlis from the moulds with the help of a spoon. Do it carefully, moulds may be extremely hot.
Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis. You can also store the remaining batter in the fridge for next three-four days. Before using the batter just mix it again and do the same procedure as above. Serve these steaming hot kerala style south indian recipe, soft idlis with coconut chutney, moongphali chutney and sambar.
QUICK STEPS :
- Separately wash both the ingredients, i.e rice and urad dal. Take two bowls. Add urad dal to first bowl and rice to second bowl. Soak them for 4 to 5 hours.
- After 5 hours drain the urad dal and rice very well.
- Take a grinder jar, add urad dal and add little amount of water to it. Grind it well till you get a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Now add rice to empty jar, grind it and make slightly coarse batter.
- Mix both batters in a deep bowl or pan and add 1 tsp salt to it. Mix well.
- Cover and let the batter ferment for whole night or at least for 6 – 8 hours.
- Next morning or after 8 hours (after fermentation) mix the batter well once again.
- Pour 2 cups water in Idli stand or steamer or electric cooker or pressure cooker. If using pressure cooker remove the vent weight.
- Grease the Idli moulds and pour batter into greased idli moulds.
- Place the idli moulds in idli stand or steamer or cooker. Steam for 10-12 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis. You can also store the remaining batter in the refrigerator for next three-four days.
- Serve the steaming hot soft idlis with coconut chutney and sambar.