Masala Dosa Recipe : Today I am going to share a perfect masala dosa recipe. Dosa is a popular south Indian staple food and one of the famous south Indian recipes not only in India but abroad too. Masala dosa is easily available in any North Indian restaurant. Masala Dosa is a thin, crispy crepe with stuffing of lightly cooked potatoes, onions, green chilli and spices. It is usually served with coconut chutney and sambar. Dosa crepe is made from fermented rice and lentils. This versatile dish is listed on the World’s 50 most Delicious Foods. There are many types of dosas like plain dosa, neer dosa, masoor dal dosai, dill dosa, pav bhaji dosa, schezwan dosa, veg manchurian dosa and many more. But today we will teach you how to make masala dosa. It is a popular and most demanded variety of dosa which you can get easily on any food corner. It is a perfect and healthy breakfast, lunch or dinner recipe. So lets’ start with a simple yet incredibly delicious South Indian cuisine.
Soak time: 6-7 hrs | Cook time: 20 mins | Serve: 4-5
INGREDIENTS FOR masala dosa RECIPE
INGREDIENTS FOR BATTER :
- Rice – 2 cup
- Flattened Rice (Poha) – 1/3 cup
- Fenugreek seeds -1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Whole urad dal (without skin) -1/2 cup
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING (MASALA):
- Potato – 4 large
- Onion -2 finely
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chili – 2-3
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Ginger – 1 tsp grated
- Green Chilies – 3-4
- Curry Leaves – 5-6
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt (to taste)
- Coriander leaves
- Oil – 2 tbsp for making dosa
how to MAkE crispy masala dosa recipe
HOW TO PREPARE CRISPY DOSA BATTER RECIPE
- Rinse the rice and whole urad dal properly.
- Soak rice, whole urad dal, fenugreek seeds separately for 5-6 hours.
- Soak flattened rice (poha) for half an hour.
- When done, remove excess water form all the ingredients.
- Blend each ingredient separately till smooth. Add water if needed.
- Combine all the batter in a big bowl and mix well.
- Make sure it should be a very fine paste. Avoid lumps.
- Add 1 tsp of salt and mix it well.
- Now dosa batter is ready for ferment. Leave to ferment for 6-7 hours minimum, till a little spongy.
- Next morning or after 6 hours you will see the batter will become nearly double in size and rises up. If it thickened too much, add little water.
- Our dosa batter is ready.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO MASALA FOR DOSA
- Wash and pressure cook potatoes for 3-4 whistles. After the potatoes cool down, peel and mash them. Finely chop onions and green chilies. Grate ginger. Wash coriander leaves properly and finely chop them.
- Now take a non stick pan and heat it.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil and heat it.
- Add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp of cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida and allow them to sizzle.
- Add 2 red dry chilies, 1 tsp urad dal and 1 tsp grated ginger.
- When dal turns golden brwon, add 5-6 curry leaves.
- Add 2 finely chopped onions and sauté it till it turns translucent.
- Add boiled crushed potatoes and finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Now add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt (to taste).
- Add 2-3 finely chopped green chilies and add little water if needed.
- Simmer it for 6-7 minutes on high flame. Our potato mixture is ready.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY DOSA
- Take a non stick flat skillet or tawa and warm it.
- The tawa should not be too hot.
- Now splash a little water over the tawa and pour a ladleful of batter in the center.
- Now gently spread the batter evenly in a circular motion.
- Cook it on medium flame. Add little amount of oil on the sides and let it cook.
- Cook dosa till it turns golden brown in color. Now add 2 tbsp of potato mixture & spread it.
- Now pass a flat spoon under the dosa and fold it.
- Remove the dosa from the tawa.
- Our masala dosa is ready. Garnish it with some grated coconut, finely chopped coriander leaves and serve with sambar and chutney.