Masoor Dal Recipe – Sabut Masoor ki Dal : Kali masoor dal or black lentils is also known by different names like whole black lentil, kali masoor dal and chilka masoor dal. It is complicated but when you know how to cook masoor dal, it is delicious and easy dal recipe for dinner and lunch. Kali masoor dal is important source of protein, as it is fully loaded with iron and fiber. Kali masoor dal is delectable in taste, and by adding cream or butter in it, it taste like dal makhani. So this sunday meal, try this kali masoor dal with rice and share your cooking experience with us. So let’s start with this healthy and spicy recipe.
Prep time : 5 mins | Cook Time : 30 mins | Serves : 4 – 5
INGREDIENTS FOR Masoor Dal Recipe – Sabut Masoor ki Dal
- Black lentil (kali masoor dal) : 200G
- Coriander Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Red Chili Powder
- 2 Medium Onions
- 4-5 buds of Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 Green Chilies
FOR TASTE KA TADKA :
- Asafoetida (hing) Powder
- Garam Masala
- Clarified Butter / Desi ghee
- Roasted Cumin seed powder
HOW TO MAKE Sabut Masoor Dal
- Rinse and wash Kali masoor dal under running water.
- Take a grinder jar. Add 2 medium onions, 4-5 buds of garlic, 1 inch piece of ginger, 2 green chilies and 2 spoon of water in it. Grind and make smooth paste of it. Keep it aside.
- Take pressure cooker and add 5 glass of water in it.
- Add washed kali masoor dal, smooth paste (step 2), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 3 tsp of coriander powder, 3 tsp of salt and 3 tsp of red chili powder in it. Close the lid of pressure cooker, turn on the gas to high flame and cook it for 10 minutes. You can increase or decrease the amount of salt and red chili powder as per your taste.
- Meanwhile, take a tadka pan and roast 1 small spoon of cumin seeds in it. When it turns to light golden brown in color switch off the gas and make powder of roasted cumin seeds. Keep it aside.
- After 10 minutes, simmer the gas and cook kali masoor dal for 20 minutes more.
- After 20 minutes, turn off the gas and leave it for few minutes. DO NOT open the lid of pressure cooker. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Meanwhile take tadka pan, add 4 small spoons of desi ghee/clarified butter in it and heat it. When done, add cumin seed powder (step 5), 1 small spoon of garam masala and a pinch of asafoetida/hing powder in it.
- Open the lid of cooker and add Tadka in cooked kali chilka masoor Dal.
- Sabut Masoor ki Dal is ready. Serve hot with rice, chapattis, parantha or naan.