Dry Fruit Gujiya Recipe | Karanji Recipe – Today we are going to make Dry fruit gujiya or mewa gujiyas which are prepared with dry fruits and sugar. Gujia is also known as Karanji in Marathi while Ghughra in Gujarati. Gujiya, a North Indian Crispy-sweet looks like Samosa, made up with Maida Flour (Fine Flour) and stuffed with Khoya (Mawa) and Dry Fruits. In place of Maida flour some people use Wheat and Suji (Semolina) flour. We can filled Gujiya with coconuts, Dry fruits, Khoya, Suji etc. as according to our taste. On the special occasions like HOLI, Ganesh Chaturthi (Goa) etc, Gujiya is the special sweet prepared in India. Gujiya is also known as Karanji in Maharashtra, Pedakiya in Bihar, Nevries in Goa, Ghugra in Gujarat, Karachika in Tamil nadu and so on. Dry fruit Gujiya, Apple Gujiya, Kesar Gujiya, Cashewnut Gujiya, Pista Gujiya, almond Gujiya etc are different types of Gujiya. But today we are going to make Dry fruit Mewa Gujiya, which is delightful and mouth watering crispy sweet. You can also learn how to make Khoya – Mawa Gujiya.
Prep time: 60 – 80 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Quantity : 25 – 30
INGREDIENTS FOR dry fruit gujiya recipe
- Fine flour (Maida) : 250 Gram
- Refined or Clarified Butter (Ghee) : 100 Gram
- Dry Fruits / Mewa : 250 Gram
- 1 Coconut ( Dry and crushed)
- Sugar Powder / Karara / Boora : 500 Gram
- Cardamom (Ilayachi) : 7-10 Pieces
HOW TO MAKE dry fruit gujiya
quick steps :
- First of all make a glue with one spoon of Maida (fine flour) and two spoons of water to stick sides of Gujiya, so that stuff doesn’t come out from Gujiya during the frying process.
- Prepare Dough for Gujiya with water and Ghee, mix it thoroughly until the dough becomes soft. When the Dough is ready cover it with Damp cloth and keep asides for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Now Mix all ingredients : Crushed Coconut Powder, sugar powder, pieces of dry fruits (almonds, cashew, Kishmish etc) and Cardamom powder.
- Add 3 – 4 tsp of Desi Ghee in it, and mix thoroughly. Stuffing is ready Now.
- Make Puri from the Dough and place it on the Gujiya Mould.
- Fill it carefully with the mixture (about 2 tablespoon), after applying glue to the sides of puris. Close the Mould and remove extra outer part of Puri. You can also make designed Gujiya as same as in the video.
- Gujiya is ready Now. Have to Fry.
- Fry it in the deep vessel with the enough amount of Ghee or refined (Dry fruit Gujiya Should be dip into the ghee), till the light golden color appears.
- Now you can eat this classic Indian Crispy Dry fruit Gujiya after few minutes, Let it cool slightly before serving, as the stuffing inside may be very hot.
- You can store dry fruit Gujiya in the air tight container at normal room temperature for two to three weeks.
BRIEF COOKING PROCESS :
Step 1 : IMPORTANT : How to Glue Sides of Dry fruit Gujiya : Take 1.5 spoon of Fine Flour(Maida) in the Bowl and pour two spoons of water in it and mix it well. This solution act as glue and not harmful to eat. This Glue is important to apply on the sides of Gujiya, so that dry fruit Stuff doesn’t come out from Gujiya during the frying process.
Step 2 : Prepare Dough For dry fruit Gujiya recipe : In a big bowl, take Maida flour (Fine Flour) and pour 100g of Ghee/refined/Clarified Butter in it. Mix it gently. To make it softer, add some water and knead it. To avoid lumps knead it with warm water. Rub it with your fingers and palm until the dough becomes soft. When the Dough is ready, cover it with damp cloth and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
Step 3 : Prepare Stuff for Filling : Cut Dry fruits like almonds, Cashew nuts, raisins etc. into small pieces. Crush one Coconut. Mix all dry fruits and coconut with powdered sugar and cardamom Powder. Now add 3 – 4 medium spoon Ghee in it and mix them properly. Stuffing is ready Now.
Step 4 : Make Balls From Dough : Now make balls from dough and roll each ball with the rolling pin into small puris. Size of the puris should be medium.
Step 5 : Fill The Stuff in Gujiya : Now, Place the puri to the Gujiya mould. Gujiya moulds are available in the market and can be used to shape the gujiya after rolling out the puri. Greece the puri with Glue (STEP 1), run it along the sides or edges of the Gujiya and pour Dry fruit coconut mixture about 2 table-spoon on the one half of the Puri. Now close it lightly and press sides tightly, so that Stuff doesn’t come out from Gujiya during the frying process. Remove outer part of Puri carefully. Your dry fruit Gujiya is ready for fry.
Step 6 : How to make Stylish Gujiya : Place Puri on the centre of your palm, apply glue at sides. Then pour 2 table-spoon mixture on the half and fold over to the opposite end, enclosing the stuffing to form a semi-circle shaped gujiya. Press the sides firmly to avoid trouble during frying process. Now make designs as same as the video and try new designs by yourself.
Step 7 : Ready For Eat : Pour Ghee or Refined, on big vessel and heat it to deep fry the Gujiya. Fry Gujiyas in Ghee on medium flame till the light golden color appears. Pour 2 to 4 dry fruit Gujiyas only one time for fry. Fry from both side carefully and lightly. Take Out Dry Fruit Gujiya with the help of slotted ladle, to drain extra Ghee or oil. Now you can eat it after few minutes, Let it cool slightly before serving, as the stuffing inside may be very hot.
Step 8 : Stored Upto : After Cooling, you can store remaining Dry fruit Gujiyas in the air tight container, even at room temperature and eat whenever you want, upto 15 – 20 Days. Enjoy this Indian Classic crispy sweet – Dry fruit Gujiya.